Friday, June 02, 2006

 

The Tuesday Jemez Mountain Tour Day Trip, Final Part

This is the reason for the long drive of 231 miles. We wanted to see the Bandelier National Monument. When we got here it was noon and we drove on past to the little town of White Rock for lunch. We stopped at the C of C to get directions and pick up more literature. We ended up at Katherines for lunch. It is a white table cloth and napkin with crystal glasses . We have had better. Shirley ordered trout with fries and I ordered roasted chicken and apple sausage. Shirley got her trout less the fries and I got a stuffed sausage about 3/4" dia x 4" long. The young waitress brought out the table next to us order with had Shirleys fries. My order included red cabbage. I got maybe a tablespoon of cabbage under the sausage. We paid nearly $20.00 for lunch plus tip for a "gourmet" meal without getting it. The sausage could have been two links but the trout was good. I dont recommend this place at all. Try the NM-mex and see if its better or even the pizza. We drove out of our way to eat and found out their is fast food at Bendelier. We got in "free" with the Golden Age card. We bought this card last year in ND and it has more than paid for itself.
I took this at the top of the canyon and left it uncropped, just as it was taken. In the webshots folder is the cropped pic.
The oven used by the Indians over the centuries and even today. We found lots of them on the reservation by each house. For more information on them, do a search.

The canyon walls are made from vulcanic ash, not rock. The ash is either a hard type or a soft type. This is called tuff. The above photo is as it is, all natural. It comes with the holes or caves as you see it.
The interesting thing about the canyon walls, on this side is the tuff with holes but the other side does not have the same appearance. Should you go here, look at the walls on both sides and see the difference. Why is there no pics? I'm not your tour guide.
This part of the canyon was used for living. The existing holes and caves were carved out and enlarged and even connected. Look closely at the visitor and see if the person is in native Indian dress.
More of the living area. Not all of this was or is being excavated or researched. Its best to leave it for future generations or even untouched.
We did not climb up there as it was to steep for me at this altitude. I'm having enough trouble taking a walk on level ground at the lake to attempt this. I came from 700 foot altitude to here at 5-7000 foot. The oxygen is much thinner and I'm too old and worn out.
The last photo of the living area. On the valley floor near where these pics were taken is the "big house" ruins and a couple of storage areas for their food. The big house was large and had lots, atleast 100, of rooms for storage of food. They grew corn, wheat, etc here and had a "herd" of turkeys. They used the feathers for making of blankets. That is no turkey feather. Their is lots more about this area by doing a search. I hope you come here as the drive is worth the trip. Some specticular views of the mountains and canyons along the way.

I'm now out of pics and stories to post.

Comments:
And I thought you were doing such a good job being a "tour guide"! Your fired!

Guess I'll have to look for a replacement - LOL!

Janice

PS - Keep up the good (well almost) work, I'm enjoying your posts and pictures.
 
Careful about the "work". We, will I'm retired and my DW is tagging along. Now that I'm fired, again, I will have to find something to due besides a tour guide. Oh well, life is better, good, GREAT!

TU for enjoying my posts, atleast somebody is looking. And I do look at yours! Post that is!!!!

R
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?