Saturday, June 24, 2006

 

When I was a Young Man

This is 1968 when I was asked to go to another country to fight the Communist Idealogy. I arrived about 4Jan68 and spent the next 9 months, 3 weeks with an artillery firing battery. We were better known as a fire base. This is a view of the battery from above.

This is our tool of war. It is a 105 mm artillery piece. We had six of them and had a range of about seven miles. We were fortunate to have never had to fire in our defense.
And here is yours truly at the prime age of 25, married and one son with a daughter on the way.

There are a few more in the links. I have kept these and dozens of others since then but I am going to put them in the trash. Most of the pics are of poor quality and of no interest but to me. I am sharing these with you till they are removed and then they will be no more.

Comments:
Hi,
I've been following your blog of and on for awhile. We camped in Pagosa a couple of times (Riverside, I think) and had a place in Creede for a short time. You should do a day trip to Lake City and One to Creede while there. Some beautiful scenery.

I've appreciated your Viet Nam pictures, my brother was there at about the same time and thank God, came home but via Walter Reed after a near fatal brush with malaria. Isn't there a museum that would take your photos? They are such a slice of American history.
Thanks for your service.
Judy
 
Your most welcome Judy. Even tho I was with a combat arm, it was good duty for me. I did go by the place I had orders for when I left the states and was very glad I went somewhere else. I saw some beautiful country and meet some nice people.

Sorry your brother caught malaria. It was one of many things you could catch besides a bullet. We were lucky, all of our guys came home, some with purple hearts, but they came home.

We will have time for that and I will post the pics for you. Thanks for viewing our lives as we travel.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?